Warder’s Tower also known as Warder’s Lodge is an historic building on the banks of Knypersley Pool at Greenway Bank Country Park. It was built by the landowner of the time John Bateman in 1828 to house the estate gamekeeper as well as be an ornament on the landscape.
Built of red sandstone to resemble a castle, it has been described as 'one of the most romantic gamekeeper's cottages ever built'. Its first occupants in 1830 were the Harrison family. It was last lived in during the 1950’s.
Photographs by Robert Worrall
Compiled and written by Robert Worrall (Curator, Biddulph Museum)
Sources and Credits:
The Staffordshire Past Track
Photographs by Robert Worrall (Biddulph Museum)
Various local residents for myths about the stone
The Landmark Trust