The Red Cross
Date Listed: 13 April 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 275261
OS Grid Reference: SJ8807056834
OS Grid Coordinates: 388070, 356834
Latitude/Longitude: 53.1086, -2.1796
Tunstall Road, Knypersley, Biddulph.
The Red Cross located in St. Johns Church, Knypersley is another cross in Biddulph that has mysterious origins. It is believed that it was originally located near to Knypersley Hall and the Turnpike Road. It apparently then became a feature of Red Cross House nearby, who then gave this to the church in 1943, to keep it safe.
Local legend also has it that it came to Biddulph, from its original home of the Trent and Mersey Canal that is located nearby. How much truth there is in this legend is unknown.
It is also believed by many to have been a possible way marker for either farmers or pilgrims. It is believed to date from the 15th Century, however it does look like something of Anglo - Saxon origin and could date from before or after the 15th Century. It has the same type of cross both sides surrounded by a circle. At the back, near the bottom it also has an anchor design, which in all probability is of a later date than the actual cross.
Compiled and written by Robert Worrall (Curator, Biddulph Museum)
Sources and Credits:
Photographs by Robert Worrall (Biddulph Museum)
Various local residents for myths about the cross.
British Listed Buildings Online